Sunday 8 December 2013

Bunch o poems

Doin some poem exploration and such!!

I tried using various technologys to make poems!!




Contemplation

Sometimes Iwonder
Aboutthe old days

If you wantless noise, but it wasthere,
Littlepeople

Sometimes Iwonder
Howold

Placewere nicetoo muchwe
Smalltype

Sometimes Iwonder
I wonderandsurprise

I remember it
We arestill growing

Sometimes Iwonder
I couldbeyou move,whyback



Forward



Pondering

sometimes i wonder
about the older days

where there was less noise
less people

sometimes i wonder
about the olden ways

where we were less nice
less kind

sometimes i wonder
i wonder and wonder

then i remember
we are still growing

sometimes i wonder
why go back when you can move



forward

I took the second poem through google translate, translated it to japanese and then back to english and got the first poem.Google translate can be used in many different ways but some tools are not as sharp, it doesn't help that some words cant be translated fully into other languages, but its interesting and, in this case, charming to see the outcome of those mistranslated words. I enjoy how the poem seems even more curious in this case, the extra words look genuine and thinking to me.



9 half 12 half



missed notes
3.6 thirds

asidic hopes
small carvings light tone
moss terrarium soapstone
soils needed music seeded
34.5 half

plants completed
5 thirds

For this poem I used the notes I left myself as reminders in my ipod, the first entry was 9 half 12 half,  which I think is a size of paper that I needed at the time. Mixing the ipod notes and the first entry I counted all the letters used in a stanza and added the half or third mark beneath it in smaller letters. The spacing of the text grouping itself is meant to be a sandwich of words with the main part being the halfway point. I enjoyed using the calculator to add to this poem and ill probably try something else with it as well. Most of my poems I try to get a feel of thinking in them and I think the numbers add to that. Even though I’m not one to think in numbers, I know some people are and I appreciate it more so now.



Tumbling

heavens and the stars

right exchange
racial microaggression



crying on the keyboard
big a money pinch
internal screaming

For this poem I scrolled through the media website tumblr and found a few words that sums up the majority of the website. Theres the positive motivational posts the political and economical posts and then the rest are people exaggerating their pains and other people relating to those exaggerations. This is an interesting trend because it shows up in most media sites. I wonder what that means about us as a people. Maybe the saying misery loves company is outlined here.
 

Addition

Happy Lovely
Day

Day Night
Plight

Plight Sad
Sight

Sight / Sound
Happy

For this poem I thought of a few words and then numbered the words, I started adding each number to the next (1+2=3) etc and got this poem. The fourth line I divided the numbers instead so I could get back to 1. The technology of the calculator gave it its almost mechanic sound in its reading but it almost has a sort of cycle to it. You start off happy, something bad happens, and you can get back to happy again afterwards when you apply a different solution.

Spellcheck

tsimes i right to make a good quareld

i make no                   attempt to forgantsm this wanst

we need baert         mastication and maybe we wiaa strive to bes acheter  



                                                                 beanpole

tsimes in e     ighth to help other people
sometimes i c  onsent to be sesl igsh
idm old human
but we can stri      ve to be besterfted

tsimes i right to    make a good quareld i
make no attempt to forgentum this wasn't
we need

              baertschi

For this poem I wrote out my poem with my hands purposely shifted to the right so i would misspell words. Its another out of translation feeling. I sort of relate to the poem as sometimes when someone of another language is speaking to you, you can make out some words in their sentences, sometimes you have an idea of what they mean, but ultimately you need to ask for them to either repeat themselves or you get to play a nice game of charades. I arranged the spacing to outline the obscurity of some of the words. like beanpole, which was supposed to be people, its like someone was very close to getting the word right but fell just short of it. Spellcheck try as it might, made a few mistakes here and there.



A bird

I, A bird

was walking , walking and i
(a, bird)

found a crumb ……………….
i ate ,
i ate the, crumb…………..  . .  .      .       
i a bird ate the crumb and was    , happy

For this poem I tried to combine commas and periods to sort of get the feeling of an pigeon. A popular internet meme did a similar thing and I thought I could use it. I imagined the bird moved its head to go with the commas and to pause and listen with the periods. I also imagine the periods could be the crumbs as well. I enjoy how the poem can be seen differently though as well. You could imagine a person finding happiness in a simple thing.



Do it right



They tell me tw dw it
Dw it right

Just dw it they say

They tell me tw wwrk hard
Wwrk harder

Better they say

They dictate they bwss
they cry when swmething gwes wrwng

ywu do it

ywu work hard

ywu be better

Its the wnly way YOU will grww
the wnly way ywu can be in control

do it
but dw it ywurself

For this poem, I used the replace tool to replace all the o’s with w’s, I went back and manually put back some o’s to emphasize my main idea behind the poem. The poem is about how some people won't be able to encapsulate what you envision, so in order to get that vision you want encapsulated you might have to do it yourself. It can be seen as many other things as well. Like how some people see the world differently, and they work differently. Its a pretty interesting concept. I also like how you still read the words, but maybe with a slight accent.



Groceries

Groceries
I’m gunna  -      
did     you           hear ab out the fire?
im going to go             sh-
skys pretty nice out today
                                                                   but
i m finaly going to
OH! I need some groceries
   better do that
better-
im going                   t

           im           goin

im



sleep



For this poem  using the spacing of the words, I tried to show either procrastination, forgetfulness or a small attention span, maybe all in one. I used an inconsistency of punctuation to underline the theme and kind of relate to it.




Looking back now I wished I had done a collage poem or some kind of poem not on the computer, but technology is the focus. Its interesting to see how poets can find ways to utilize certain medias and streams to make really cool works. I made the attempt and actually enjoyed it.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting how you were able to create a poem through google translate. Reminds me of the article this guy was just talking about http://languageismytool.blogspot.ca/2013/09/poetry-reaching-far-and-wide.html

    Though the general meaning is still there, I think the nuances were lost in the process so it begins to become a little muddled in meaning. Nevertheless, i think it would be interesting to find someone who can directly translate the poem since Google translate has a tendency to be a bit off sometimes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Francis, although I think the idea that perhaps, instead of muddling meaning, translation through various dialects could perhaps be seen as REFINING meaning. Calling upon not only the linguistic meanings of one language, but by referencing multiple, adds a certain spice, or flavour, to a work.
    And the use of google translate is pretty neat, I think google's services are pretty much everyone's go-to option, so it's kinda' cool to use a reference tool that is easily access by any potential readers.

    ReplyDelete